|Rockne Museum/Hilbig Park
The Rockne Museum
One of the first projects of the Rockne Historical Association (RHA), formed in 1990, was to establish a museum. In 1993, a room in Holtman Hall, the church's reception hall, was designated as the Rockne Museum. Land was acquired and a ground breaking ceremony for the new museum building took place in April 2002. It was completed a year later and dedication of the new museum took place on June 14, 2003. It holds hundreds of antiques, artifacts, historical books and papers.
Hilbig Park was named to memorialize Hilbig Park School; a school that served the German Catholic children of the Rockne community between the years of 1894 to 1900. The land for this school was donated by Anton Hilbig who emigrated from Kospendorf, Prussa, in 1871. On June 24, 1992, Charlie and Marian Hilbig Nelson donated a plot of land near the church in memory of Sylvester J. and Clara Kadura Hilbig. It also honors the memory of Fred Hilbig who gave much to the community through the William Hilbig and Sons General Store (what is now Leon's General Store). Because of the store, the Rockne community went by the name of Hilbigville from 1922 to 1931 until it was given the name Rockne.
RockneTexas.com would like to send a special THANK YOU to each of our SPONSORS! Please check out the SPONSORS page to see who has helped create the success of RockneTexas.com!